Friday, December 19, 2008

New Macbook! (and Fallout 3)

My new work laptop arrived yesterday - a 13" 2.4 GHz Macbook. This is my first Mac ever, something of an experiment for me, so lets hope it goes well. So far I'm quite pleased with it, especially now that I've worked out how to right click using the touch pad and found how to add a terminal to the dock.

My old Lenovo Thinkpad X60, dual boot Fedora 8 and Windows XP, was (and still is) a good software development machine but was imperfect at its primary role of conference/travel laptop. On Windows the separate Lenovo and Windows wifi managers would often conflict with one another, although it worked once you'd found and killed one or the other. I'd bought the thing based on the fact that people at ThinkWiki had the wireless hardware working under Linux, but for whatever reason it would only work intermittently and often would disconnect from a wireless network it had managed to connect to. It even did this when I swapped the Intel a/b/g wireless internal card for an Atheros-based one that was supposed to work even better under linux. I spent a lot of time getting into old-school kernel patching and micro-code nonsense, before giving up trying to make wireless work robustly under linux. This was a pain at conferences, where wired ethernet connections are rarely provided.

And I never got sound working under Linux - a failure that rankles me considering I managed to hack sound into working on linux on every laptop I've ever had until the Thinkpad came along two years ago.

I'd originally chosen a dual-boot Windows/Linux combo (as opposed to pure Linux, which is what I did on previous laptops) because conferences had stopped letting you hook your own laptop up to the projector to give your presentation (which used to work fine under linux with OpenOffice for me and still does for departmental Seminars, apart from one memorable incident at a conference in the Canary Islands...).

Now all conferences have adopted a policy of transferring all talks to one of two-conference computers, usually one Windows and one Mac. This initially lead to font problems with talks saved in powerpoint format from OpenOffice Impress, although installing and using Microsoft web fonts under linux solves that problem. I added Windows to the Thinkpad X60 so I can load the ppt in powerpoint to check it. All good so far. This is almost foolproof, except when conference organizers put your powerpoint talk from a XP machine onto a Mac running powerpoint (or vice versa), at which point all hell breaks loose. This has happened to me only a few times, but it happens to some poor soul at every conference I go to.

So, sick of powerpoint's inability to work properly on both XP and Mac, and having to reboot out of a working environment (linux) to get into XP to check the presentation, I have decided to do all future talks in Keynote. Hence the Mac. And once I've unixified the Mac I should be able to do some decent work on the thing at the same time, no rebooting required. Wish me luck.

PS: Fallout 3 did not disappoint. An awesome game, with only minor flaws of an overly-low level cap and a rather abrupt termination to the main quest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good choice of colors and theme! Great blog! Check out my blog for a free internet speed test and PC tune up. All comments appreciated! Links too!

Free Internet & Blog Speed Test